Perhaps you have heard of the 21-Day Sugar Detox?
According to the detox's website, "The foundation of The 21-Day Sugar Detox is simple – eliminate foods that cause sugar cravings, balance your blood sugar, and choose more healthy, nutrient-dense foods."
Sounds simple, right? Just eliminate sugar: wrong!
Do you know how many products have sugar added to them? A quick run to the grocery store will have you questioning just how much sugar you really consume!
Organic diced tomatoes? Sugar.
Frozen, organic, riced cauliflower? Sugar.
Uncooked bacon? Sugar.
After some research online, and many questions to the ones participating in this challenge, I put together the following recipe combining recipes I found online.
Bell peppers stuffed with ground beef, cauliflower rice, potatoes, tomatoes, and onions; with a side of sauteed spinach.
My shopping list was as follows:
- 1 lb of 100% Grass Fed and Grass Finished Western Grassfed Beef Ground Beef
- 1 cauliflower
- 6 bell peppers in various colors
- Organic, unsalted, sugar-free butter
- 1 small tomato
- 1 onion
- 1 russet potato
- 1 avocado (optional)
- 1 lemon (optional)
- 1 package of 100% Grass Fed & Grass Finished Western Grassfed Beef Bone Broth
- Olive oil
- 1 small bag of frozen, sugar-free organic baby spinach
- Paleo Powder All Purpose Seasoning or Paleo Powder Pink All Purpose Seasoning
- Organic, sugar-free shredded cheese (optional)
The first thing I made was the cauliflower rice, because it was the first time I was making it and I wanted to get the most challenging part of this meal out of the way.
The cauliflower rice filling:
- Cut the cauliflower in half
- Place your halved cauliflower in a blender
- Use the "pulse" setting to gradually get the cauliflower down to "rice-sized" pieces. (Note: If you do not have a blender, a food processor or a cheese grater can be used to get the cauliflower down to rice sized pieces, as well.)
- Once cauliflower is desired size, place on paper towels and pat to remove excess moisture
- Heat up at least 1 tbsp of olive oil in a pan over medium to medium-low heat
- Place the cauliflower rice into the pan, evenly distributing the oil throughout the cauliflower rice
- Add in less than a 1/4 cup of the beef bone broth, 1 tbsp of Paleo Powder seasoning, and cook uncovered for 5 minutes, stirring often
- Turn down the heat and cook covered for 5 to 10 more minutes
- Set aside
The potato filling:
- Use a vegetable peeler to remove the potato skins
- Cut one potato into roughly half-inch sized cubes
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil
- Add the potatoes into the boiling water with salt, for taste
- Boil for at least 10 minutes, or until potatoes are fork-tender, and then immediately drain the potatoes and set aside
The onion and tomato filling:
- Chop one tomato and half of one small onion into very small pieces
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a pan over medium heat
- Add in the chopped tomatoes and onions and saute for 5 to 10 minutes, or until onions start to brown
- Set aside
The beef filling:
- Heat medium sized pan over medium heat
- Add in ground beef and season with Paleo Powder seasoning
- Cook until meat is fully cooked
- Set aside
The bell peppers:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Line baking sheet with tin foil
- Cut off the tops of the bell peppers and set aside for another recipe or discard
- Remove seeds from bottoms of bell peppers
- Heat two tbsp of butter in a pan over low-medium heat
- Add the bell peppers, turning so that all sides are slightly cooked
- Cook for about 5 minutes, then set aside
- Place bell peppers upside down on foil-lined baking sheet
- Bake in oven for 10 to 15 minutes
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool down
- Mix together all of the previously-made fillings in a medium-sized bowl
- Once the bell peppers have cooled, add in the filling mixture to all of the bell peppers
- Optional: sprinkle with sugar-free shredded cheese
The sauteed spinach side:
- Heat medium-sized pan on medium heat with 2 to 3 tbsp of olive oil
- Add in baby spinach and add salt to taste
- Cook for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally
The guacamole topping:
- Cut open one avocado and scoop out half of it into a bowl, discarding the seed or setting aside for future use
- Cut one lemon in half and squeeze the juice of it into the bowl
- Using a fork or a whisk, mash the avocado to a paste, adding salt for taste
Once bell peppers cool, serve with spinach side and enjoy!
This recipe seemed a bit daunting at first glance, but the meal turned out well and was easy to follow. The cauliflower rice was much easier than I had imagined to cook, and I will be making it again.
The one thing you must do is make sure to use the best beef possible - 100% Grass Fed and Grass Finished Western Grassfed Beef Ground Beef & 100% Grass Fed & Grass Finished Western Grassfed Beef Bone Broth! And don't settle for any average seasoning - use Paleo Powder Pink All Purpose Seasoning. All of which are available to order online to deliver directly to your doorstep, as well as at New Earth Market, PCC Community Markets, Mollie Stone's Markets, and other natural food stores.
Western Grassfed Beef, the Natural Beef label from Panorama Meats, works directly with U.S. family ranchers throughout the West and Midwest. All cattle are born and raised on open pasture and are fed a diet of grasses and range forage. Our natural 100% grass fed and grass finished beef is humanely raised with no antibiotics or added hormones, and always raised on pastures. We believe in supporting our rancher's way of life and in raising cattle the right way.